Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ham & Spinach Pasty

I woke up the other morning & realized I had forgotten to make bread dough for sandwiches for lunch. So I started rummaging through the fridge to see what I could come up with. I had an uncooked pie crust leftover from the French Sorrel Tart, half a bag of spinach, a little leftover goat cheese & some deli ham so I decided a ham & spinach pasty would be just thing. I know a pasty is usually filled with meat, potatoes & onion but I really think of it as more of a technique that you can use with any filling. I used to buy two unbaked pie crusts at the store & make four of these at a time, freezing them after cooking, then I would take them to work & warm them up in the toaster oven for a really great lunch.
Ham & Spinach Pasty

1 unbaked pie crust (I use store-bought but homemade would be great)
4 c spinach
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
1/4 c toasted pine nuts
1 egg
2 T goat cheese, crumbled (any cheese will work, feta is really good)
1 T grated Parmesan
2 sliced deli ham, chopped
salt & pepper
nutmeg

Preheat oven to 450 F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion & garlic & sauté until the onion is tender. Add the spinach to the skillet & cook until completely wilted. Put spinach mixture in a medium bowl & allow to cool slightly. Mix in pine nuts, egg, ham and cheeses. Season with salt, pepper & a few pinch of nutmeg.
Cut the pie crust into two half circles. Put half of the spinach filling on one side of each half circle.
Ham & Spinach Pasty
Fold the other half of the half circle over the filling. Fold the edges in & pinch them to seal shut. Poke a few hole in the top with a fork. Place the pasties on a baking sheet lined with a silicone pad or parchment paper. Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown.
Ham & Spinach Pasty

Makes 2

1 comment:

HomeMadeOriginals said...

Yumm, I'm printing out your recipe for later.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota